What Is ARCS?
Auxiliary Radio Communication Systems (ARCS) are two-way emergency radio networks. These systems are installed in high-rise buildings for use by the fire department. ARCS receive and transmit FDNY portable radio signals throughout the building – enabling radio communication in the event of an emergency or crises.
ARCS operate continuously, even during power outages, and their main purpose is to assist communication via FDNY radio. The system ensures radio communication is available at all times.
What Properties Require ARCS?
The City of New York requires all new construction high-rise buildings (i.e. taller than 75 feet) to install and maintain ARCS. See the
full NYC ARCS Rules here, for more information.
Custom ARCS Solutions: Design, Install & Maintenance
ASM Security offers complete ARCS solutions, including the design, installation and maintenance of new ARC systems. Our process includes:
- On-Site Consultation: Our engineering team conducts an on-site radiofrequency (RF) study to learn the needs of your property.
- ARCS Design: ASM’s in-house design team develops a custom solution for your property.
- Permitting and Certification: The ASM team manages the entire permit and authorization process, including FDNY approval.
- ARCS Installation: ASM manages the entire installation and provides access to our network electricians and ARCS contractors.
- System Maintenance: Our team manages and monitors the system, providing yearly testing to ensure your property is up to code.
ARC System Components
ARCS are comprised of a few common components. They include:
- Base Station: The base station, or ARCS transreceiver, transmits and receives radio signals throughout the building.
- Antenna Network: A building-wide antenna system is installed that routes radio signals throughout the building. Careful engineering is required to ensure high-quality signals.
- Radio Console: The console is typically installed in the building lobby.
ASM offers a full range of ARCS equipment for installation. Contact us today to learn more about your options.
FDNY Requirements for ARC Systems
Section FC 511 of the New York City Fire Code outlines the ARCS requirements for property owners. In general, property owners must follow rules for ARCS design, installation, inspection and maintenance. ARCS requirements include:
- New Construction: All new construction high-rise buildings require ARCS to be installed. According to NYC rules, all buildings 75 feet or taller are considered high-rise.
- Installer Qualifications: ARCS installations must be performed by companies with master electrician qualifications.
- Inspection Requirements: Newly installed ARCS must pass a Commissioning Test, as well as an FDNY acceptance test.
- ARCS Maintenance: ARCS must be in good working order; regular inspections and maintenance can ensure long-term performance.
- Annual Certification: The NYC Rules outline annual certification and five-year recertification processes for ARCS. Annual inspections and certification are required.
ASM offers expertise in ARCS design, installation, engineering and maintenance.
For NYC property owners, ASM can help you meet FDNY and Building Code requirements. Contact ASM today to learn more to schedule a free consultation: 718-839-6000.